•  Email Info@bazzilaw.com
  •   Call : (313) 978-0000
  • Fax : (313) 960-4400


Joseph Dodds Practice Areas

Joseph Dodds Practice Areas (6)

Hire an experienced drunk driving lawyer!

A Michigan Drunk Driving Charge is Serious!

A Michigan drunk driving charge is very serious. You must treat this charge as potentially life-changing.

Many lawyers make a great deal of money on these cases by pleading people guilty to the offense of "operating while visibly impaired" (OWVI) without ever exploring a defense.

An OWVI counts as a drunk driving conviction, and a Michigan drunk driving conviction can: Result in a jail term or imprisonment Loss of driving privileges and automobile forfeiture Collateral consequences on professional and occupational licenses Steep fines, costs, and driver responsibility fees Probation, community service, and work programs

A Michigan drunk driving conviction cannot be expunged, set aside, or taken under advisement. A lot of people think that the courts simply want their money.

No, to the contrary, the courts and the prosecutors demand money and a whole lot more.

A drunk driving charge is one of the most serious crimes that an ordinary everyday person might face in a lifetime, and most of our clients have never faced a criminal charge.

Drunk driving cases are also some of the most complicated offenses for a criminal defense lawyer to handle, with an emphasis on scientific and highly technical defenses.

But the good news is that these cases can be won, and you've been lucky enough to stumble across Bazzi Law a law firm that has focused on drunk driving defense.

With years of training and experience in field sobriety testing, breath testing, urine analysis, and blood testing, you have found one of Michigan's leading drunk driving defense firms.

Call Bazzi Law right now so we can put our experience, training, and knowledge to work for you!

Were You Arrested for a Michigan Drunk Driving but Released?
If you were arrested by the police but released the next morning from jail without a court date, you need to review this information!

If you intend to protect your rights, you need to obtain videos from the police within 30 days before these materials are recycled.

In the case of an OWI blood draw, you may be required to submit paperwork to the Secretary of State within 14 days to save your license.

OWI 2nd and OWI 3rd charges may take months to file, but you must act now to protect your rights. "Super Drunk" and "Child Endangerment" charges may also take several weeks for a prosecutor to authorize.

"Drugged Driving" charges may take over a year before charges are filed, but you cannot afford to wait until then under any circumstance.

If you’ve been arrested for drunk driving, you need a vigorous and personalized defense!

No matter how innocent you are, no matter how guilty you may think you are, it takes an experienced drunk driving defense attorney to evaluate your situation, guide you through the process, and make things as easy and comfortable for you as possible. The Constitution still guarantees you the Right to Due Process of Law, and that means you are presumed innocent!

  • Bazzi Law appears in courts throughout the Detroit and Southeast Michigan area, representing persons accused of drunk driving.
  • Your ticket or bond receipt may say OWI, OWI with a High BAC, OUIL, UBAL, UBAC, Per se, or OWVI. You may call it DUI, or DWI, or DUIL.
  • You may have been stopped and arrested in Wayne County, Oakland County, Macomb County, or any of the rest of Southeast Michigan.
  • It all comes down to this: YOU'VE GOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM. You've been charged with a crime. That charge can take your driver's license. It can put you in jail. It can cost you years of extra insurance premiums and driver responsibility fees, not to mention fines and court costs. It can take away your CDL (Commercial Driver's License). It can put you on probation for years.
  • Whether it happened in Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Canton, Livonia, Redford, Detroit, Taylor, Romulus, Novi, or anywhere else in Southeast Michigan, you need the help of Bazzi Law.
Bazzi Law has practicing attorneys that are focused on drunk driving cases and driver's license restorations for almost all of that time. The national concern about drunk driving is justifiable, but YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A FULL AND VIGOROUS DEFENSE.
  • Just because you are accused, doesn't mean you are guilty, and it certainly doesn't mean the prosecutor can prove you guilty!
  • Bazzi Law travels to district courts and circuit courts throughout Southeast Michigan.
  • Bazzi Law also appears at the Secretary of State Driver Assessment and Appeal Division (DAAD), also called Driver License Appeal Division (DLAD), on driver's license restoration hearings and implied consent hearings.
Among the charges Mr. Ford defends against are:
  • OWI (Operating while Intoxicated)
    • also called DWI (Driving while Intoxicated)
    • also called DUI (Driving under the Influence)
    • also called OUIL (Operating under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor)
    • also called OUI (Operating under the Influence)
    • also called drunk driving
  • UBAC (Unlawful Bodily Alcohol Content)
    • also called UBAL (Unlawful Blood Alcohol Level)
    • also called Per se (it's Latin)
    (This is technically no longer a separate charge, but a lot of police officers still write it on a ticket.
  • UBAC, UBAL, and Per se are technically no longer a separate charge
  • OWI WITH A HIGH BAC (Operating while Intoxicated with a Bodily Alcohol Content at or over .17)
    • also called super drunk
  • OWVI (Operating while Visibly Impaired due to the Consumption of Alcohol)
    • also called OWAI (Operating while Ability Impaired)
    • also called impaired driving
  • OWICS (Operating while Intoxicated by a Controlled Substance),
    • also called OWIN (Operating while Intoxicated by Narcotics)
    • also called OWID (Operating while Intoxicated by Drugs)
    • also called OUID (Operating under the Influence of Drugs)
  • OWPD (Operating with the Presence of Drugs)
  • Zero Tolerance (Junior UBAL)
  • Open Intoxicants in a Motor Vehicle
  • Child Endangerment
  • MIP (Minor in Possession of Alcohol)
  • PBT Refusal (Preliminary Breath Test Refusal)
  • Probation Violations
    • also called Show Cause Hearings
    • also called VOP (Violation of Probation)  
  • DWLS (Driving while License Suspended)
    • also called DDS
  • DWLR (Driving while License Revoked)
    • also called DDR
If you are charged with any of these offenses, whatever you do, contact Bazzi Law and you will get the help of an attorney who is very knowledgeable in the area of vehicular alcohol and substance crimes.
  • Do not go to court assuming that you must plead guilty to whatever the prosecutor might offer you. The prosecutor is not looking to find your defenses. Bazzi Law will work diligently to fined those defenses.
  • Be wary of courts that offer a court appointed attorney who will spend only a few minutes on your individual case. Many court appointed attorneys are well qualified, but they cannot devote the time to your DUI case that an attorney you hire yourself will spend on your case.

You may be able to seal arrest or conviction records.

A criminal record can create difficult downstream consequences whether you (or your child) was arrested or convicted (or both).

For experienced representation that gets results, you can rely on Bazzi Law 

For example, employers and landlords commonly ask job applicants and apartment seekers whether they have ever been convicted of (or perhaps even arrested for) a criminal offense.

Employers might not hire -- and landlords might not rent to -- people who answer "yes" to these questions.

The good news is that, in some cases, you may be able to get an arrest or conviction expunged from your record.

Read on to learn more about the expungement process.

What Is Expungement?
Expungement refers to the process of sealing arrest and conviction records. Virtually every state has enacted laws that allow people to expunge arrests and convictions from their records.

Though the details can vary from one state to the next, most states' laws provide that once an arrest or conviction has been expunged, it need not be disclosed, including to potential employers or landlords.

For example, assume that Joe was convicted of petty theft and later had the conviction expunged.

This was Joe's only brush with the criminal justice system. If Joe applies for a job and the application asks, "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?" Joe can honestly answer, "No."

Expunging or Sealing an Adult Criminal Record by State To get state-specific information on sealing adult court records, see the topic page on Expunging or Sealing of Adult Criminal Records, and click on the link to your state.

Eligibility for Expungement Since an expungement can offer a fresh start of sorts, one of the most important actions that people who have been arrested or convicted can take is to investigate their jurisdiction's expungement procedures.

Start by checking with your county's criminal court, or even the law enforcement agency that handled your arrest.

Specifically, ask the following questions about eligibility for expungement and the procedure that's involved:

Is a particular offense eligible for expungement?

For example, a jurisdiction may allow expungement only for arrests and misdemeanor convictions and not allow felony convictions to be expunged.

When is a person eligible for an expungement?

For example, expungement may be available only after people have finished serving their sentences, including any term of probation. (But, if there's a good reason, a judge may shorten a period of probation in order to allow expungement to take place earlier.)

What does the expungement process involve?
Expungement doesn't necessarily require hiring an attorney. Many courts have forms available, with titles along the lines of "Motion for Expungement."

What are the consequences of expungement?

Even if a conviction has been expunged, could it still show up in some circumstances?

For example, police departments and some licensing boards may be able to find out about job applicants' expunged records.

Getting a "Certificate of Actual Innocence" A Certificate of Actual Innocence is perhaps the most powerful form of expungement.

This certificate does more than seal a prior record, it proves that a record should never have existed at all.

Let's say that Joe is arrested for vandalism for spraying buildings with graffiti, but the charges are later dropped. Or perhaps Joe is charged with vandalism, and he goes to trial and is found not guilty.

In either situation, Joe might seek to obtain a certificate establishing that he was factually innocent of the offense.

Drug Crimes and Juvenile Offenses
In many jurisdictions, people who have been arrested or convicted for drug crimes and juvenile offenders may have an easier path to expungement.
(Learn more about drug arrests and convictions in Nolo's article Drug Laws and Drug Charges.)

Drug offenses.
Many people arrested for drug offenses are eligible for diversion programs.

These programs typically provide for the expungement of records following the satisfactory completion of a program.

Juvenile offenses.
People who were arrested or convicted as juvenile offenders may have an easier time getting their criminal records expunged or sealed.

Usually this is an option once the person reaches the age of 18, and they've otherwise stayed out of trouble with the law. 

Contact Bazzi Law to get started on your expungement case today! First consultation is always free.. 

Reckless Driving, Speeding Ticket Defense

Years ago, people didn’t think much about it if they were ticketed for traffic violations.

If you received a speeding ticket, for example, you just paid the fine and forgot about it.

Today, it’s a different story. It’s wise to take every traffic citation seriously. Too many tickets can result in a suspended license, revoked license, increased insurance rates, heavy fines, and even jail time.

Truckers and others who hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL) may lose their ability to work and earn a living if they have too many traffic tickets.

If you have been cited for any type of traffic violation, from speeding to hit and run, please contact a traffic violations defense attorney at Bazzi Law, today.

Legal Help for Trying Times | Contact Us Today ,The initial consultation is free of charge.

We have successfully defended clients charged with all types of traffic violations, including:
Reckless driving
Hit and run
Operating on a suspended license
Red light violation
Illegal drag racing
Reckless endangerment
Not stopping for a school bus

Our traffic violation and speeding ticket defense lawyer takes a proactive approach, working to minimize the potential consequences to you today and in the years to come.

You will be treated with respect and your legal situation will receive the personal attention it deserves.

We will work to resolve your traffic violation issue as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

For experienced representation that gets results, you can rely on the traffic violation and speeding ticket defense attorney of Bazzi Law

Aggressive Juvenile Crime Defense in Michigan Criminal charges against minors should be taken seriously

— by the young adult being charged as well as by his or her parents or guardians.

Without proper criminal defense representation, a simple misunderstanding or a juvenile mistake can escalate and create significant problems in the future. At Bazzi Law, we recognize that young adults are vulnerable to peer pressure and other pressures that cause them to make poor choices.

However, we also recognize that for many young adults facing law enforcement, there is still time for change.

Our attorneys are dedicated to preserving our clients’ rights and promoting opportunities that give them a second chance. Legal Help for Trying Times |
Contact Bazzi Law Today.

Contact a juvenile crime defense lawyer at Bazzi Law, to discuss how we can help.

We provide free initial consultations to discuss the matter. Underage drinking (Minor in Possession of alcohol, MIP) Underage DUI / DWI Drug possession and other drug crimes Probation violation Shoplifting and retail fraud Assault Speeding and other traffic violations Gang-related activity All other misdemeanors and felonies

Honest, Trusted Defense Lawyers Our juvenile crime defense practice focuses on providing honest, straightforward, and informed counsel.

You can count on us to provide a realistic analysis of the case. We will explain the charges, potential penalties, likely outcome, and options available so you can make an informed decision on how to move forward.

Whether facing charges involving underage consumption of alcohol, simple drug possession, or more serious crimes that risk prosecution in adult criminal court, our defense lawyers are on your side, advocating for your interests, reputation, and future.

Our law firm has had remarkable success in juvenile criminal law cases — not only in securing a favorable outcome for our clients, but also in playing an integral role in helping straighten out the delinquent tendencies of the young adults we defend.

See what some of our clients have had to say about our services. Whether the charges involve underage drinking while driving or any other offense, you can count on our attorneys to be straightforward and relentless.

Contact us for experienced juvenile crime defense representation in Dearborn Heights, Dearborn, Garden City, Canton, Plymouth and surrounding areas.

A personal protection order (PPO) is a court order to stop threats or violence against you.

A PPO can help protect you from someone who is threatening, hurting or harassing you.

You can get a PPO if you have a reasonable fear for your personal liberty or safety.

There are three types of PPOs: Domestic Relationship PPO, Non-Domestic (Stalking) PPO, Non-Domestic (Sexual Assault) PPO

Bazzi Law is here to help you file your PPO quickly and correctly. Below we have provided the detailed information required to file a PPO in Michigan.

This article has information about all three types. If you need a PPO, you should first decide which type best fits your situation. Some of the information about a PPO filed by or against a minor is different. If you are not sure, contact one of our attorneys at Bazzi Law we are here to help.

To learn more read the Minors and Personal Protection Orders article.

Which Type of PPO is Right for Me?

Domestic Relationship PPO

To get a domestic relationship PPO, you must show the court that the abuser is likely to assault, threaten, harass or stalk you. You must also show that you and the abuser have a domestic relationship. You have a domestic relationship with the abuser if he or she is: Your current or ex-spouse Your child’s other parent Someone you live with now, or used to live with Someone you have dated romantically A domestic relationship PPO can prohibit the abuser from: Entering your home or other place Assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting, or wounding you or another person Threatening to kill or physically injure you or another person Removing your children from you if you have legal custody of them Buying or having a gun Interfering with you removing your children or personal property from a place the abuser owns or leases Interfering with you at your job or school, or acting in a way that harms your job or school relationships or environment Having access to your home/work address or telephone number in records that concern a child of both of yours Stalking you Any other specific act or behavior that interferes with your personal freedom or makes you reasonably afraid of something violent happening to you (this could include other specific behaviors that you want the court to prohibit) You may ask for specific protections when you fill out your paperwork, but the judge will decide what your PPO will prohibit.

Non-Domestic (Stalking) PPO

The purpose of a non-domestic PPO is to protect you from stalking if you and the abuser don't have a domestic relationship. To get a stalking PPO, you must show that there have been at least two incidents of stalking. Stalking is ongoing harassment that scares you, and that would scare a reasonable person. This could include following you, making unwanted phone calls or texts, or showing up repeatedly at your home or work. A non-domestic PPO can prohibit the abuser from: Following you or appearing within your sight Approaching or confronting you in a public place or on private property Appearing at your work or home Coming onto property that you own, lease, or occupy Calling you Sending you mail, e-mail, or text messages Placing objects on or delivering them to property that you own, lease or occupy Buying or having a gun Other, specific stalking behavior that you want the court to prohibit A stalking PPO can also ban “cyberstalking," which includes posting messages through electronic media such as Facebook. You may ask for specific protections when you fill out your paperwork, but the judge will decide which actions your PPO will prohibit.

Non-Domestic (Sexual Assault) Personal Protection Order

The purpose of a non-domestic (sexual assault) PPO is to protect you from a person who has been convicted of sexually assaulting you, or a person who has threatened to sexually assault you, when you do not have a domestic relationship with that person.

If you are under 18, sexual assault includes giving you or attempting to give you obscene material. A non-domestic (sexual assault) PPO can prohibit the abuser from: Entering your home or other place Threatening to sexually assault, kill, or hurt you or another person Buying or having a gun Interfering with you removing your children or personal property from property the abuser owns or leases Interfering with you at your job or school, or acting in a way that harms your job or school relationships or environment Following you or appearing within your sight Approaching or confronting you in a public place or on private property Appearing at your work or home Placing objects on or delivering them to property that you own, lease, or occupy Calling you Sending you mail, e-mail, or text messages “Cyberstalking,” which could include posting an electronic message Any other specific act or behavior that interferes with your personal freedom or makes you reasonably afraid of something violent happening to you (this could include other specific behaviors that you want the court to prohibit) You may ask for specific protections when you file your paperwork, but the judge will decide what your PPO will prohibit.

How Do I Get a PPO?
To apply for a PPO, you must file a petition with the court. You can use our Automated Online Petition for Personal Protection Order Forms Interview to do this.
Bazzi Law can handle the process of getting your PPO file correctly. 

You can use this interview for a Domestic Relationship, a Nondomestic, or a Nondomestic (Sexual Assault) PPO.

The petition is used to give the court important information it needs to decide whether to give you the order you want. As best you can, tell the court what the abuser has done to you and how you have been harmed.

Try to remember the dates or times of year the events happened. You don't have to have police reports or other evidence to get a PPO, but if you do have them you should attach them to your petition.

They can help the court understand what has happened to you.

You might be afraid the abuser will harm you if you don't get a PPO right away.

You might be afraid the abuser will harm you if he or she finds out you are asking for a PPO.

If so, you can ask for an emergency order.

Emergency Order needed? 
(Contact Bazzi Law to get the process done quickly)

This emergency order is called an ex parte order. If you get an ex parte order, you won't have to wait for a hearing to get your order. With an ex parte order, the abuser won't know you're asking for a PPO until after you get your order.

If the judge requires a hearing before signing your order, it will be held within 21 days of the day you file your petition. If you don’t think you need an emergency order, or if a hearing is required, you must have a copy of the petition and a notice of hearing delivered to the abuser.

The abuser will have the opportunity to attend the hearing and respond to the information in your petition. In this situation, the abuser will know you are asking for a PPO before you are protected by an order.

What will My PPO Say?

A PPO will state: That your order is effective and immediately enforceable anywhere in the state What actions the abuser is prohibited from doing When your order expires What happens if the abuser violates your order The name of the specific law enforcement agency that will enter your order into the Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN)

What Happens after the Judge Signs My PPO? Your PPO and petition must be served on the abuser.

Your PPO can be enforced anywhere in Michigan as soon as it is signed by a judge.

Once your order is served, it can be enforced anywhere in the United States.

There are several ways to serve the PPO and petition, but you are not allowed to serve them yourself.

You should have service done in a way that keeps you safe.

Once the PPO has been served, a form called Proof of Service must be filed with the court clerk.

For more information about serving your PPO read the Serving Your Personal Protection Order article.

Staying Safe with Your PPO Carry a copy of your PPO and Proof of Service with you all of the time.

Keep a second copy in a safe place. You can ask the court for extra copies of the order (or you can make extra copies) to give to your children’s schools or day care providers, your place of work, and others who need to know about it.

Planning for Your Safety Your chances of being hurt by the abuser may increase when you leave the relationship or seek legal help.

Planning for your safety ahead of time can help.

Your safety plan might include things like:

Where to go or who to call if you feel threatened, Important telephone numbers, An escape plan Checklists of important things to take with you when you leave the abuser. Contact your local domestic violence agency, the Michigan Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence, or the National Domestic Violence Hotline for help thinking about your safety options and making a safety plan.

Look at the Community Services section of this page to find an agency in your area.

Enforcing Your PPO You might be tempted for many reasons to let the abuser do things that violate your PPO.

Maybe you feel safe now that you have the order.

Maybe the abuser promises that things will be different.

The abuser may ask to come to your house to pick up the children, but your PPO bans the abuser from coming to your house.

Whatever the reason, you should not agree to behavior that violates your PPO.

The abuser can be arrested for behavior that violates your PPO even if you agreed to it.

If you want to change your order before it expires, you must go back to court and ask the judge to change or end it.

If the abuser violates your PPO, you can call the police and report the violation.

You can get support and information about enforcing your order by calling your local domestic violence agency. You can also file a Motion to Show Cause asking the court to punish the abuser for violating your order.

For more detailed information about how to enforce your PPO read the Personal Protection Order Violations and Enforcement article.

To find out more about Personal Protection Orders read the Domestic Relationship Personal Protection Orders, Minors and Personal Protection Orders, and Crossing State Lines with a Personal Protection Order articles.

Restoring Your License

The process to restore a revoked or suspended Michigan driver's license varies depending on the reason for the license suspension or revocation, but usually involves a hearing before the Driver's License Appeal Division (DLAD).

In a case involving driver's license revocation due to drunk driving charges, the process starts heavily weighted against you. Unlike a criminal trial, where you are presumed innocent until proven guilty, when you appeal to restore license privileges the State of Michigan will review your case from a presumption that they will not be restoring your license. You must then provide proof in the form of Clear and Convincing Evidence (CCE) in two categories:

1) That any substance abuse problem has been remedied, and

2) That you are unlikely to drink and drive in the future. Again, the burden of proof is on you. Supplying your CCE involves letters of testimony, a minimum time of abstinence from drugs or alcohol, a drug screen, a substance abuse evaluation, and your own sworn testimony.

All this information must be carefully coordinated and presented to the Hearing Officer in a consistent and persuasive manner. Far too often we have clients that have gone through the process alone or with an inexperienced attorney. In these cases, we inevitably have to explain some of the prior documents that have already been filed because there was some flaw that killed their chances initially and are hurting their chances the second time. If you are going into a hearing to get your license back, go with an experienced attorney to guide you the first time.

In Michigan, driver's license revocations are life-long by default - only through the appeal process can your license be restored. Having an experienced attorney advising you through the process to defend your interests is vital.

Driver's License Sanctions Under southwest Michigan law, traffic violations fall into two general categories—civil infractions and criminal offenses. The crimes specified in the motor vehicle code include misdemeanors and felonies.

Driver's license sanctions are included in these crimes. Civil infractions can result in both financial penalties and points against your license, so they must be taken seriously. Upon conviction for a criminal offense, the Secretary of State may take action against your driver's license, resulting in the assessment of points, sanctions, or revocation.

Some driver's license sanctions may result from criminal convictions having nothing to do with the operation of a motor vehicle, including convictions for certain drug offenses, possession of alcohol by a minor (in some instances), and forging certain Secretary of State documents.

The process of driver's license restoration is then necessary to regain the right to drive. Furthermore, even without a conviction, the Secretary of State's Driver Assessment Division has the authority to reexamine a driver when, for example, a driver has accumulated too many points or is involved in certain types of accidents.

Such hearings include an on-the-road performance test and may result in a restriction, suspension, or revocation of driving privileges. Driver’s License Restoration in Michigan Michigan drivers aggrieved by the final decision of the Secretary of State may request a hearing before the DLAD to achieve driver's license restoration.

Appeals typically originate from branch office application denials, driver assessment determinations, and implied-consent hearings. They include appeals following revocation for various circumstances. Experienced Help for Michigan Driver's License Restoration

At Bazzi Law, we have significant experience handling Michigan driver's license restoration. We have represented clients in criminal cases, driver assessments, and DLAD hearings. We are well-suited to provide you with the valuable advice you need and to minimize the impact of sanctions on your ability to regain your driving privileges. if you've had your Michigan driver's license revoked due to accumulation of points, involvement in an accident, or conviction for a criminal offense,

Contact Bazzi Law now about protecting your driving privileges and getting your license reinstated.

Speak with Our Professionals Now

Call (313) 978-0000

Imigration Law, Work Visa , Criminal Law

Family Law, Probate, Business Transactions


Contact Info

Bazzi Law, PLC
25639 Ford Road Suite 201
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127

 313 978 0000

313 960 4400

 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 9.00 am to 7.00 pm